Pittsburgh Athletic Association
© Alexander Denmarsh
Built in 1911, the Pittsburgh Athletic Association was a prominent social and athletic club, located on Fifth Avenue in the Oakland portion of the City. Based on a Venetian Renaissance palace, the structure’s large cornices, ornate details and warm stone provide the perfect canvas for light. This opportunity was seized upon by Walnut Capital, as the firm embarked on a massive rehabilitation of this Historic Landmark. Aside from creating a destination for pedestrians along Fifth Avenue, special attention was given to safety and security for those traversing the block. The building itself becomes a light fixture, providing both visual interest and ambient light to the surroundings.